Total Pageviews

Friday, April 15, 2011

So I Said...

Here is a letter I wrote to the JDRF earlier this week, just thought I might share it with you all before Sunday comes up, as its directly related.

To whom it may concern,

My name is Craig Swanberg, and I am 23 years old. I was just recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as of January 26, 2011. Fortunately enough, I have been quite lucky with my situation so far, as my benefit coverage through work has paid for my Diabetes supplies thus far, however I have come across quite a rude awakening.

I made a routine trip to the pharmacy earlier today to pick up my much required supplies, and upon returning to pick them up I was told that my benefits through work were no longer active. The reason being is that I am currently training as an Apprentice Carpenter, and as such am required to take two months off of work to attend technical training in between an otherwise regular year of work. The company who manages our benefits informed me that I was short on my hour bank to receive coverage for the months of April and May, and possibly carrying into June, as I hadn't acquired a sufficient amount of documented hours to continue my benefits. As a result I was stuck with the bill of paying for my supplies out of pocket, due to the fact that I have no insurance to supplement my benefits, or otherwise, which, as you may know is quite a pricey amount of money for the supplies required for the disease.

It is my understanding that Alberta Health Care does not cover prescriptions for any medication, which I find as quite an inconvenience for someone whom may not have benefits through work, or insurance especially when it pertains to quite expensive required medical supplies. Lucky enough for me, I am able to afford to pay for my supplies for a few months until my benefits do become available to me, as I will be returning to work in a couple of weeks, and will hopefully be receiving benefits within a couple of months, if not sooner to cover my medical costs, but I can't help but wonder what happens to the people who don't have the luxuries that I have available to me in regards to paying for medical supplies.

The reason for my letter is I am curious to know if the JDRF, or any association affiliated with Diabetes research has anything in place to somehow supplement people who struggle to pay for their diabetic supplies, or those who are not covered by insurance. Is there any way that someone is able to sponsor a family who is unable to easily obtain the required medical supplies, or at least contribute to the cost of these supplies? We have a Canadian Food Bank that is able to take donations of food and money to supply hungry families with at least some food, and also organizations that allow people to sponsor children all over the world, to give them at least some hope of eating and possibly getting an education. If there is no funding for the Diabetic community, is it possible that there could be? While research for a cure is an important issue, the idea of having people struggling to have to obtain medical supplies is also quite a serious, pressing issue that I can't help but think effects many people across the Diabetic community.

Please don't take this letter as an attempt to slander the efforts of the JDRF or the Canadian Diabetes Association, as that is not my motive. I am just curious to know if such types of funding are available, and if not are they plausible? Is there a way to introduce a program to make an already difficult condition easier for some people? If you could please return an email addressing my concerns as a member of the Diabetic community at your convince, it would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Craig Swanberg

I would just like to point out that the JDRF did not return my email as of yet. It was sent on Wednesday of this week, and no reply has been issued.


Little do they know as well, I am now making the issue public, well as public as possible for now.

2 comments: